How to Kill Mosquitoes
Top 15 Easy Ways to Get Rid of Mosquitoes
Want to learn how to kill mosquitoes? So in this post you’ll discover 15 easy ways to kill Mosquitoes effectively.
Mosquitoes are tiny pests that are very undesired among most of us. The reason for that is in their annoying habit of sucking blood for the purpose of their procreation.
Even though they are small in size, these insects can make you feel extremely itchy and make your skin swell. Luckily, there is a wide variety of solutions on how to kill mosquitoes.
Some of the methods, such as preparing coffee grounds, will help you get rid of mosquito larvae. Other techniques, such as various mosquito traps, will help you catch and kill grown mosquitoes.
Check this: Top 5 Products That Kill Mosquitoes Effectively
As these creatures suck your blood, they release anticoagulant in it, preventing the wound from drying and sealing.
Our bodies’ natural reaction to this is to release histamine. Sometimes, too much of this chemical is released which causes our skin to swell after the bite.
While bites can last for days and cause great discomfort, they are not the only thing to worry about. Mosquitoes may carry dangerous diseases and infect you during the blood-sucking process.
What You Should Know About Mosquitoes
The more you know about these insects, the better you can eliminate them. Here are some facts about mosquitoes and their habits!
- Technically speaking, mosquitoes don’t really bite you. They pierce your skin and suck your blood.
- Only female mosquitoes suck blood. They have no evil intentions – they require human or animal blood for laying their eggs.
- Mosquitoes can carry diseases such as malaria; however, most of them will only leave a red mark on your skin after they’re done sucking your blood.
Read more: 15 Ways to Get Rid of Fire Ants
How to Kill Mosquitoes Using Home Remedies
Mosquitoes are small and nasty insects capable of causing a lot of harm.
While they have no evil intentions, they may transfer various diseases as they suck our blood. Due to the reaction in our bodies, this process also causes the surrounding area to swell up and become very itchy.
When it comes to killing mosquitoes, home remedies play a huge part.
You can do a lot to prevent mosquitoes from drinking your blood and even kill them without purchasing chemical products.
Below are some of the best methods on how to kill mosquitoes naturally using everyday household products.
1. Coffee Grounds
Let’s start with one of the best solutions on how to kill mosquitoes larvae. Coffee grounds present an effective and easy to perform home remedy.
When this ingredient is added to stagnant water where the larvae can be found, it forces them to swim up to the surface. There, they run out of oxygen and die almost immediately.
- Prepare a cup of coffee grounds and pour it into a rain barrel or any other stagnant water source around your house. If you wait patiently, you will soon see mosquito larvae surfacing as they struggle to get away from the coffee.
- You can repel mosquitoes by burning some coffee grounds. The smoke it will produce will keep these small creatures at bay.
Read more: 22 Ways to Get Rid of Gnats
2. Pinion Wood
If you are wondering how to get rid of mosquitoes in the yard, you are going to love this solution. May you intend to have an outdoor party or simply want to spend some time outside the walls, you will probably want to enjoy the time in peace.
Burning pinion wood produces smoke that kills mosquitoes and prevents them from entering the house as well. If you get some pinion wood and burn it evenly around the house, you should have a mosquito-free area for some time.
Caution: Do not burn wood inside the house. Also, make sure that other items around the burning woods won’t be able to catch on fire.
Camphor, originating from Cinnamonum camphora tree, is a flammable waxy substance that can help you get rid of mosquitoes effectively. It may not kill off all mosquitoes in the house, but at least it will help you force them away.
- Get some camphor leaves or camphor balls and put them in a bowl.
- Slightly crush the balls to increase their efficiency.
- Light them up and let them burn for around 30 minutes.
Note: Make sure that you place camphor away from the reach of pets or kids. Camphor as such should not be ingested.
Garlic offers a working and cost-efficient method on how to kill mosquitoes in your house. As it is also rich in larvicidal properties, garlic is also one of the best home remedies on how to kill mosquitoes in water.
- Peel some garlic cloves and crush them. Proceed to boil the crushed cloves in water for around 10 minutes. Pour this homemade pesticide in stagnant waters around the house.
- Alternatively, prepare the garlic solution as described above. Pour this solution into a spray bottle and spray it around the house to prevent mosquitoes from entering your premises. You can also use it directly on mosquitoes to kill them instantly.
Read more: What Kills Cockroaches Instantly?
5. Mosquito Trap
Making a mosquito trap is one of the top ways on how to kill mosquitoes from yard.
You can buy already made traps, but you can also make them yourself if you have some time on your hands. In order to prepare a mosquito trap, you will need a plastic bottle, brown sugar, yeast, and some hot water.
- Cut the plastic bottle in half.
- Add a few tablespoons of brown sugar in 1 cup of hot water. Mix well and wait for the sugar to dissolve.
- Pour the solution in the bottom of the plastic bottle and add yeast.
- Place the funnel side of the bottle upside down in the bottom of the plastic bottle.
- Wrap the bottle with a black tape while keeping the top opened.
- Place the bottle in an area prone to mosquitoes. You are advised to create multiple traps and place them near windows and doors to kill mosquitoes before they get the chance to enter your home.
- Change the solution used in trap every 14 days.
Read more: 20 Effective Ways to Kill Termites
6. Dry Ice
Dry Ice trap is a great technique that requires some time but works well when you have to deal with multiple mosquitoes at once.
As we breathe, we exhale a lot of carbon dioxide which attracts the mosquitoes. Dry ice emits even more, so it makes a great lure for the mosquitoes.
- Place some dry ice in a plastic container in a safe location.
- Wait for the mosquitoes to gather around the container.
- Kill them using other techniques or trap them in the container using a lid.
7. Lavender Oil and Tea Tree Oil
Essential oils, in general, have been proven to be very efficient at keeping mosquitoes away.
They may not be able to kill them, but they can be used as a prevention method. Besides that, the application of essential oils at your home has numerous benefits that should be considered.
- Lavender oil and tea tree oil are especially effective at getting rid of mosquitoes. You can dilute some oil with water and pour it in a spray bottle. Use the bottle to spray the oil around your home.
- Alternatively, you can also use essential oil dispensers to distribute the oils throughout the house. This will provide your body with other benefits as well.
If you wish to use lavender oil or tea tree oil directly on your body, you can do so but first, dilute it with water. You can then spread it over yourself to keep the mosquitoes away.
This can be especially useful when you’re going out in areas rich with water sources and inhabited by mosquitoes.
8. Dish Soap
A remedy easy to perform but quite effective at killing mosquitoes is dish soap.
Simply, mix some dish soap with water and pour it in a spray bottle. Spray the mosquitoes with this solution to kill them fast without polluting the air in your house.
It is recommended to use lemon-scented liquid detergent to kill these annoying creatures and other insects that may be present in your house.
9. Cedar Oil
Cedar oil presents a non-toxic and natural solution on how to kill mosquitoes inside the house. It is also safe to use around pets and humans.
It is effective at killing most insects, including mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas. Luckily, it does not harm the beneficial ones such as butterflies and bees.
- Purchase cedar essential oil and dilute it with water. Pour the solution into an empty spray bottle so you can directly use it mosquitoes and kill them on sight. You can also use the solution on yourself to repel the mosquitoes away from you.
- Alternatively, you can use cedar oil solution on your yard. Spray it around to prevent the mosquitoes from hanging out near your house. Cedar oil is safe to use on plants as well.
10. Citronella Oil
Citronella oil is another essential oil that is effective at repelling as well as killing mosquitoes. It is extracted from citronella grass and is used by many people as an alternative to chemical agents.
You can use citronella oil in an essential oil diffuser or dilute it with water and keep it in a spray bottle. Use the oil at your home to prevent the mosquitoes from entering.
You can also use it as a solution on how to kill mosquitoes in rooms, by trapping a mosquito in a room with diffused citronella oil.
Cinnamon treatment is also one of the best ways on how to kill mosquitoes in yard and stagnant waters.
It makes a great addition to almost any dessert and is also very beneficial to human health. Mosquitoes, however, are not so lucky.
Cinnamon presents a natural way to kill mosquito larvae, so it is very effective when used in stagnant waters around your yard.
- Buy cinnamon oil, as it is more concentrated than the cinnamon alone.
- Add cinnamon oil to stagnant water. The ratio between cinnamon oil and stagnant water should be around 15%:85%.
- Wait for larvae to die. Normally, it takes around 6 hours if the above concentration is considered.
Alternatively, you can use cinnamon oil as a part of a body lotion to prevent mosquitoes from biting you. Don’t use cinnamon oil alone. Mix it with your body lotion in ratio 1:20.
12. Over-the-counter Mosquito Killer Products
In case home remedies on how to kill mosquitoes in the house are not effective, there are many products out there that can help you solve your mosquito problem. Also, you can hunt down the mosquitoes yourself with some of the tips provided below.
If you are tired of trying to bring other methods to life and want immediate results, you may want to consider trying out over-the-counter products. These mosquito killers will provide you with a solution on how to kill mosquitoes indoors and how to kill mosquitoes outside of the house.
Here is a list of some of the most popular mosquito-killing products that you can try:
- Summit Responsible Solutions Mosquito Bits -Quick Kill
- Bug Zapper – Electronic Insect Killer Night Lamp
- Bug Zapper with LED light bulb, Fly and Mosquito Killer
- Powstro Electric Mosquito Killer Lamp, Night Light, 110-220V, US Plug
- Neatmaster Ultrasonic Pest Repellent
- Mosquito Dunks – Mosquito Killer
Carefully read the instructions before using any of the products mentioned above.
Different types of mosquito killers work differently, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Find out what will work best in your area of application.
You can also check out the reviews of other people to see how the product worked out for them.
How to Kill A Few Mosquitoes
If you’re still wondering how to kill mosquitoes in your home, it’s time to get your palms ready.
Mosquitoes are tiny and easy to kill if you give them a good smack. Even though they are hard to spot, they can be quite easy to hunt down because they don’t move very fast.
Here are some of the best tips that will help you kill mosquitoes with your own hands:
1. Turn On a Flashlight
Mosquitoes are attracted to lights.
If you turn them on while your windows are open, they will quickly find their way inside. However, if a mosquito is already inside your room, you can turn the light into its disadvantage.
Close all windows and the door, and turn off all the lights. Then, use a flashlight to lure the mosquito to your location.
Be ready to hit it as soon as you see it.
2. Use Vacuum Cleaner or Bug Zapping Racket
Mosquitoes are very light and they can easily be sucked in by the vacuum cleaner.
Once you spot it, follow it with the hose of your vacuum cleaner. Once it is sucked in, it will probably die right away. If you are worried about it escaping, go empty the bag outside of the house.
Alternatively, you can also buy a bug zapping racket and use it to hunt mosquitoes. Run the racket through the air and as it comes in contact with the mosquito it will give it a nice shock.
3. Wait for Them to Land
Mosquitoes do not fly for very long, so you can easily wait for them to land before you attack. Check for it around the room, especially around the curtains, as they like to hide there.
Once they land, give them a good smack. An easy way to do that is by using a rolled up magazine.
How to Prevent Mosquitoes and Mosquito Bites
Preventing mosquitoes in and around your home will reduce the need for killing them. Even though you may believe there is not much you can do, there is, and here are some tips that can help you.
- Avoid stagnant water around the house. Stagnant water is one of the ideal breeding grounds for mosquitoes. Even something small like a bottle cap can be enough for them to start breeding in.
- Make use of natural mosquito repellents. Some plants are capable of releasing defensive chemicals upon getting harmed that keep the mosquitoes away. Pick the right plants for your location and plant them around your home.
- Apply repellent. While repellents aren’t a long-term solution, they can help you protect yourself for a certain amount of time.
- Wear clothes that cover your legs and arms. Additionally, it is also suggested to cover your feet.
- Keep the doors closed.
- Avoid staying outside without proper mosquito repellents in place.
- Place mosquito nets over the windows, doors, or bed.
Over-the-counter Mosquito Repellents
Preventing mosquitoes is sometimes necessary, especially when you want to hangout outside without being annoyed. Slaying all mosquitoes may not be the best solution most of the times.
Here are some of the top mosquito repellents that you can find on Amazon:
- Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent
- Citronella Mosquito Repellent Plants
- All-Natural Mosquito Repellent Incense Sticks
- Belursus Mosquito Repellent Patch
- Hoont Citronella Incense Sticks – Long-Lasting 21” Natural Mosquito Repellent
- Thermacell Outdoor Mosquito Repeller plus Lantern
Make sure that you purchase repellents based on the area of use and application.
Some repellents are used directly on the skin, some are applied on clothes, and some are used to spray to the surrounding area. Carefully read the instructions before using these products as they may contain dangerous chemicals.
How to Treat Mosquito Bites
Almost all of us have to experience the unpleasant mosquito bites every now and then. If you get bitten, the only thing that will matter to you is to get rid of the itching and burning sensation immediately.
Sometimes, the symptoms accompanying mosquito bites last for days and can turn your summer vacation into a nightmare. Here are some helpful ideas on what you can do to take care of mosquito bites.
As a natural antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agent, honey can treat the effects of mosquito bites effectively.
Apply some raw honey over the bite and let it dry naturally before washing it off. You are also suggested to apply honey on areas that you have scratched due to the itchiness of the bite.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a highly beneficial plant that we can find in many households.
It can treat various skin conditions, including mosquito bites. It is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that prevent the bites from inflammation. Aloe Vera also contains soothing properties which contribute to pain relief.
It is always best to use fresh Aloe Vera gel. You can extract the gel directly from the leaf of the plant by cutting into a leaf and squeezing the gel out.
One of the top remedies for treating mosquito bites is also the one that may end up in your bowl. Oatmeal contains compounds capable of reducing the itching and swelling associated with mosquito bites.
To apply oatmeal, mix it with an equal amount of water or milk to create a paste. Proceed to apply it on the bites and let it dry naturally before rinsing with cool water.
When it comes to mosquitoes, one can do a lot to prevent them from ever coming inside the home.
There are various natural and chemical agents that repel these pests. The techniques for destroying mosquito larvae are also very popular as they aim to kill mosquitoes before they grow.
Luckily, there are many proven home remedies for killing mosquitoes if they make it inside your home. Some of them are based on trapping them while others kill them instantly.
For those with a desire for immediate output, there are also many commercial products available on the market that has been proven useful as well.
If a mosquito manages to bite you, make sure that you to treat the area right away. Some of the best homemade remedies for treating mosquito bites include honey, Aloe Vera, and oatmeal.
With all of the solutions on how to kill mosquitoes that you have discovered during this article, you can now enjoy your party or sleep without buzzing sounds and itchy bites disturbing you!
Enjoyed Top 15 Easy Ways to Get Rid of Mosquitoes? Share it with your friends so they too can learn how to kill mosquitoes
KEEP READING ↴
How to Get Rid of German Roaches
Top 9 Simple Ways to Get Rid of German Roaches Without an Exterminator
How to Get Rid of German Roaches
Top 9 Simple Ways to Get Rid of German Roaches Without an Exterminator
What Kills Termites Naturally and What Kills Termites Fast
You can kill termites naturally, with chemicals, or with the help of a professional. Read this post to discover things you can use to kill termites naturally and fast.