Looking for best mosquito killer? Well, you’re in the right place. Read our buying guide and complete reviews to choose your best one.
Mosquitos aren’t just annoying; they can also be dangerous to your health. When these pests begin to swarm, it is time to get the best mosquito killer on the market.
Whether you are camping or enjoying time in your backyard, you will inevitably deal with these nasty creatures. Follow our comprehensive guide to killing them once and for all so you can enjoy some peace and quiet.
- Choosing the Best Mosquito Killer
- Best Mosquito Killer Products Reviews
- 1. Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer
- 2. LiBa Bug Zapper & Electric Indoor Insect Killer
- 3. Dt1050 Dynatrap Flying Insect Trap
- 4. Hoont Powerful Electronic Indoor Bug Zapper
- 5. Dynatrap DT2000XL Insect Trap
- Using Mosquito Killer Products
- What to Consider Before Buying
- Safety Concerns with Treatment
- Tips for Using Mosquito Killers
- Preventing Mosquitoes from Invading Your Life
Choosing the Best Mosquito Killer
Picking the best mosquito killer can be a little confusing. There are numerous products on the market all claiming to be the best.
Here are the options that seem to be most popular and effective.
Bug zappers are effective when used as an electrical way to dispose of pests. It is a device specifically designed to kill flying insects simply by attracting them with a light.
The nice thing about this method is that it works on numerous bugs making it the best mosquito killer. By installing one in the backyard, or wherever mosquitoes get bad, you also set yourself up to be free of flies, gnats and more.
Mosquito swatters are usually made of thick metal or plastic; more so than a fly swatter. The swatter itself sits on the end of the wire that is springy.
This design allows for an increased chance of hitting the stationary mosquito by increasing the swat’s momentum. In fact, if you don’t have a swatter handy, any rolled up magazine or newspaper will do as well.
Some people are even brave enough to kill the mosquito with the double-handed clap. The air that comes from each hand forces the mosquito into the death trap.
3. Trapping Systems
There are machines that use heat and carbon dioxide to attract mosquitoes. Once they’ve come close to the unit, they will become entrapped and killed using nets, chemicals or containers.
Some of these systems can be quite expensive but they are highly effective, especially in yards. The other thing to consider is that many trapping systems cater to a specific species of mosquito.
This means, depending what species are in your neighborhood, you may not be able to trap them all. It would be wise to ask neighbors if they’ve had any success with a certain kind of system to gauge what will work for you.
4. Misting Systems
When it is an all-out war, you may need to turn to the big guns! Chemical warfare might be the answer to keep your backyard parties mosquito free.
These are often referred to as ‘bug bombs’ and will create a cloud of fog that kills mosquitoes on contact. Not only that, it also lasts for hours to come.
Most people find that the misters work best around dusk when mosquitoes are taking flight. Some of these units can even be set on a timing system like sprinklers.
Normally, these machines contain botanical pyrethrum or permethrin. These chemicals are low-risk, low-toxicity and are safe for humans as well as animals. In fact, they are the same products used in flea and tick medications for your cats and dogs.
5. Natural Remedies
As with any pest control, the Internet loves to share hundreds of ways to control pests naturally. Some people have used natural remedies like dish soap, dryer sheets and citronella oils.
Do any of these methods work? It really depends on the severity of the infestation and what species of mosquito you are fighting.
You could certainly try one of the natural remedies if you have the time and patience to see if they work.
5 Best Mosquito Killer Products Reviews
What’s the best mosquito killer? Here are the top 5 best mosquito killer reviews for you to take a look at.
1. Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer
This advanced, electronic insect controller is my pick for the best outdoor mosquito killer. It features a non-clogging killing grid and covers up to ½-acre.
The Flowtron offers instantaneous operation and a continuous, uninterrupted service. It only requires a 15-watt bulb to work.
For the best results, you’ll want to replace the cartridge every 30 days. This cartridge features a USDA tested Octenol attractant which is powerful in luring mosquitoes.
The rugged, waterproof polycarbonate construction will not rust, fade or crack. Because of this, it is ideal for outdoor usage.
Keep in mind that this machine will require the use of a plug, so it will need to be near the house. It is also not recommended to use within 25-feet of human activity. This means you won’t want to attach it to the house or deck.
The company also offers a two-year limited warranty against defects. If you want to benefit the environment with this purchase, you’ll like that the mosquitoes fall to the ground after dying so they are reabsorbed into the ecosystem.
There are several options available based on the acreage you need to cover. Each option changes the price slightly, but all are well worth it considering the value.
Users loved to know that it came pre-assembled and ready for use. Another customer commented how this works for them even though they live next to a swamp.
Things We Liked
- Durable for outdoors
- Non-clogging killing grid
- Cartridge only needs to be replaced every 30 days
Things We Didn’t Like
- Requires the use of a plug
- Cannot use around human activity
2. LiBa Bug Zapper & Electric Indoor Insect Killer
This LiBa Bug Zapper is one of the best mosquito killer machines on the market. That’s because it features a sleek, modern design that emits a UV light from all 4 sides.
Not only will this kill mosquitoes but it is also takes care of many biting insects for you. The grid has a 2800-watt charge ready to kill instantaneously.
The extra-long 6.5-foot power cable means that you don’t need those long extension cords anymore. Use this most anywhere outdoors to kill pesky bugs once and for all.
The LiBa Bug Zapper contains high-quality materials and offers a corrosion-proof outer enclosure. This ensures that the insect trap is safe to use around children and pets.
In addition, the cleanup of this machine is simple. The bugs stay in a washable and removable tray.
For long life and durability, you’ll be happy to know that the outer body contains a scratch-proof aluminum.
One user shouted that it was worth every penny. Another customer was thrilled at how many bugs ended up in the trap.
Things We Liked
- Safe around pets and children
- Extra-long power cable
- Durable and scratch-proof
- Easy cleanup
Things We Didn’t Like
- Doesn’t appear to have a warranty
- Doesn’t allow wide wingspan insects to enter
3. Dt1050 Dynatrap Flying Insect Trap
This trap is one of the best mosquito killers for the backyard. That’s because it is powerful and doesn’t use chemicals, propane or pesticides.
This trap will protect up to a half acre of land. It is even possible to use this trap indoors unlike many others.
The Dynatrap doesn’t just kill mosquitoes. You can use it to eliminate biting flies, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, stink bugs, moths, Asian beetles and more.
The trap uses three ways to capture pests. The ultraviolet lights draw them close with the heat and color. Then, carbon dioxide enters the air tricking the bugs into thinking it is a human.
Finally, the whisper-quiet fan will draw those pests inside the trap. Once inside, they will dehydrate and die.
This trap features a brand new design that offers a completely sealed unit when the fan is off. This means that you won’t have to worry about any insects that might still be alive within the cage.
The Dynatrap features a 15-watt electric consumption. If used on a regular basis, that works out to just about $2 per month. Considering the price is a little higher for the unit, I liked the low cost of operation.
Don’t worry about the time it takes to maintain either. It is easy to clean; simply empty the trap every two weeks.
Users agree this is an all-around great bug killer. People have found moths, ladybugs, wasps and more when emptying their trays.
Things We Liked
- Multiple methods of attracting insects
- Can be indoors or outdoors
- Completely sealed unit when fan is off
- Uses very little electricity
Things We Didn’t Like
- Cost to purchase
- Seems to work really well at capturing other bugs, but not always mosquitoes
4. Hoont Powerful Electronic Indoor Bug Zapper
In addition to using the best mosquito killer spray, this effective fly and insect controller will help eliminate all your pests. The Hoont zapper has two high-intensity 10-watt UV bulbs to attract critters.
When they make contact, a high-voltage of electricity will kill them instantly. In addition, the unit is safe and clean.
It features a detachable chain so you can mount it to the wall easily. If you prefer, it can be standing.
When you are ready to clean the machine, simply empty the tray at the bottom of the unit. The Hoont will spread light in all four directions and cover an area up to 6,000-square feet.
Use it in the home, office, restaurants, commercial buildings and more. Since it is pesticide, chemical and odor free, you can get those bugs without any dangerous substances.
Compared to other machines of the same quality, the price on this seemed a little lower. That makes it a great value in my book.
One of the customers was happy to announce that they’ve owned two of these machines because they liked it so much. Another user was ecstatic that the unit was compact and not an eyesore.
Things We Liked
- Effective against a variety of bugs
- Kills on contact
- Easy to clean
- Affordable price
Things We Didn’t Like
- Short 4-foot cord
- Doesn’t handle smaller insects as well
5. Dynatrap DT2000XL Insect Trap
This insect trap is ideal for indoor or outdoor use. With the long 7-foot cord you can effectively use it anywhere.
There is no expensive attractants or propane to buy. In addition, the unit is smokeless, pesticide and odor-free.
Not only with the Dynatrap kill mosquitos, but it also attracts and kills other flying insects as well. It offers a unique 3-way protection method.
First, UV bulbs generate a warm light that appeals to bugs. Second, the TiO2 titanium dioxide-coated surface produces CO2 which mosquitoes find irresistible. Finally, the quiet fan sucks them into dehydrate and die.
When the fan isn’t on, the damper closes and insects are trapped inside. You will notice that the price on this unit is higher than the others.
While I feel it is a great machine, I think there might be others that are just as effective for less money. Most people felt that it was worth every penny.
In fact, one user likes to take it to the river where they camp. It effectively keeps the area bug-free for an enjoyable vacation.
Things We Liked
- Long 7-foot cord
- No chemicals needed
- Traps insects inside
- Kills a variety of bugs
Things We Didn’t Like
- Seems to kill other insects better than mosquitoes
Using Mosquito Killer Products
Once you’ve picked out the best mosquito killer for home, it will be wise to know why you should use it. It is also wise to learn all the instructions on the proper application if you want to be rid of these pests once and for all.
Why You Need Mosquito Killers
Mosquitos are more than just pesky, they carry numerous diseases. Some of the ailments can be deadly.
In the United States, we face West Nile Virus. This is one of the most common and dangerous of the mosquito-transmitted diseases.
In addition to that, they can also carry these diseases:
- Dengue Fever
Some of the most common symptoms of West Nile Virus include:
- Body Aches
Be aware that these symptoms can pop up in as little as two days after a bite. Other times, they can take two weeks.
If you’ve experienced a bite from a mosquito and you start experiencing symptoms, you need to see a doctor right away.
While your chances of having the West Nile Virus through a mosquito bite is small, it is still wise to understand the symptoms and do everything to protect yourself from danger.
Varieties of Mosquitoes
There are currently hundreds of species of mosquitoes that can invade your life. Here’s a listing of some of the more popular kinds.
The Anopheles Mosquito lives in every state except for Hawaii. Their body features a slant, unlike most other mosquito species.
They used to be a malaria carrier in the U.S, but don’t seem to be anymore. The adult female will lay eggs in pools of water.
Each of these eggs has a little float attached to keep the eggs on the surface. They can lay over a hundred eggs after each breeding.
The Anopheles mosquito tends to bite at night, right after dusk or before dawn. The fertilized female will spend the winter hibernating, so you are safer during that time.
Generally, about half of mosquitos found in North America are the Aedes species. They enjoy cooler climates and their eggs can withstand long periods of dry or cold.
Eggs are laid individually at or above the waterline and sometimes on the dry ground. Then, they wait until wet weather or flooding to prompt hatching.
The larvae will spend their time in pools, puddles or anywhere there’s standing water. Adults tend to bite in the evening.
These species will carry diseases and can be vicious when it comes to biting. In addition, you’ll find they invade in large numbers.
Oftentimes, the Aedes mosquito lives in backyards thriving in stagnant water. This can be as simple as gutters or old tires.
This breed prefers the tropics but there are about a dozen species inhabiting the U.S. They will lay their eggs in rafts connected to one another.
These groups of eggs will float of pools on water such as big as lakes or as small as backyard buckets. A grouping of eggs can contain as many as a hundred at a time.
They normally only take two to three days before hatching. Adults will bite in the evening or during the night.
Some of these Culex mosquitoes have been linked to encephalitis.
Currently, there are eight species of the Culiseta mosquito found in the United States. They don’t mind the cool weather and even come out of hibernation during winter months if there are warmer days.
Adults prefer to bite animals and they are often blamed for causing outbreaks of equine encephalitis.
What to Consider Before Buying
Here are the questions you need to ask before purchasing your next mosquito fighting product. Ponder these thoughts to help you find the best mosquito killer.
- What will work best in my situation? This should be the driving force behind the product you purchase. Go back to the top of the article if you are still confused about the different options currently available to you.
- How much of this method will you need to complete the application? Once you start applying or using your method of choice, you want to be sure you have enough to complete the job.
- What is the price range I am willing to spend? You can find a product that meets any budget. The key is how effective will that product be?
- What type of mosquito am I trying to kill? As we’ve discussed earlier, there are some products that only work on a certain mosquito species. For the best value, try to pick a product that will kill multiple insects.
Safety Concerns with Treatment
It is valid to have concerns about the safety of your family and pets when trying to kill mosquitos. There are chemicals involved in many products on the market today. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Not all mosquito killers should be around pets and children. Always read the label carefully to ensure the safety of everyone in your home.
- Some products contain natural ingredients. This is a great alternative if you care about your health or the environment. Many of the mechanical devices are also used with methods that don’t involve chemicals.
Tips for Using Mosquito Killers
Start by following the directions given to you by the manufacturer. They make the product and know the best way to apply it.
Here are some other tips you might find helpful when you are killing mosquitoes.
- When using the best mosquito killer for yards, it is also wise to cover yourself in a repellant. This will help you to remain bite-free while you are fighting the deadly swarms.
- Mosquito traps use tactics such as adhesive pads, electric grids or fans to attract mosquitoes. When you are first fighting them, you might notice an increase in population.
- When using foggers, be sure you wear protective gear to protect yourself from any chemicals.
- Keep all electric devices away from pets and children.
- Remember to treat areas of water with special care. This will be a common breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Read directions before assuming that a product is safe around your pets or children.
Preventing Mosquitoes from Invading Your Life
Once you’ve started battling the mosquitoes in your life, you’ll want to take steps to prevent them from getting any worse.
You may not be able to stop every insect from living in your backyard, but there are steps you can take to make it easier. Here are some helpful tips for you.
- Use repellent whenever you are outdoors
- Wear loose, full-coverage clothing whenever you are outside
- Use a mosquito net over the bed if you have trouble indoors
- Check the screens for holes to repair
- Hang out indoors during prime mosquito biting times
- Use a dish of soapy water in an inconspicuous place outside while trying to have a meal. It will attract the mosquitoes away from you and they will drown in the solution.
- Use yellow LED lights around doorways and windows
- Get rid of all stagnant water areas around the home
- Change the water in birdbaths frequently
- Maintain the proper chemicals in your pool
- Keep your grass mowed and landscaping trimmed
As a review, my choice for the best mosquito killer is the Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer. Not only is it effective at killing dangerous mosquitoes, but it also provides for a large coverage area.
Purchasing a mosquito killer is only the start of being free of these harmful annoyances. You will need to continue being diligent so that you don’t provide a breeding ground for them in the future.
By taking your time to rid yourself of this pest, you are setting yourself up for some beautiful times spent in the outdoors.
Enjoyed Top 5 Products You Should Use to Kill Mosquitoes Effectively and Fast? Share it with your friends so they too can find their best mosquito killer.